This is why I play music
My favourite week of the year. Perhaps a BMC in the summer holidays as well?


When is the Camp?
Sunday 7 July – Saturday 13 July 2024.

Where is the Camp held?
At The Scots School Albury, 393 Perry Street (corner of Wood Street and Perry Street).

What are the fees?
We have varying packages available: for instance, Morning Only suits young children who would find a full day too tiring, or students in the last years of school who want to study in the afternoon. Full details may be found here.

What age ranges can attend?
The minimum age for Morning Only students is eight years as at the start of Camp. There is no maximum age for Camp!
We suggest Short Day and Long Day students should be at least ten years old.
Due to limited availability of rooms, to be eligible for boarding you must be in Year 8-12 at school at the time of camp, and under 18 years of age.

What instruments are played at Border Music Camp?
All instruments customarily played in in orchestras and symphonic wind ensembles – there's a detailed list here. We regret it is impossible to cater for guitar, recorder, piano or harp. Musicians who play these instruments are welcome to apply to attend playing percussion.

What is a typical day like?
Click here to download a timetable from a typical day's program. Contact us if you have any further queries!

When will I know if my application to attend Border Music Camp has been successful?
Acceptance letters will be emailed within three weeks of closing date.

What happens if I pay my fees but my child's application to attend Camp is not successful?
The fees will be refunded.

What happens if I have to cancel my enrolment?
If Border Music Camp Inc. cancels the event, we make a full refund of fees.
If a Long Day, Short Day, or Morning Only student withdraws from the event for any reason other than for genuine sickness or injury, we will refund a relative proportion of fees minus an administration fee of $30, depending on the circumstances of withdrawal. Due to the limited availability of places for Live-In students, cancellations will be entitled to receive a 50% refund.
From Camp commencement, any withdrawal will be subject to a withdrawal fee calculated on a daily attendance pro-rata basis, but in any event, will not be less than 50% of the full Camp fee.

I have specific dietary requirements – can these be catered for?
Yes. Please list these dietary requirements in the spaces indicated on the application form.

Does the audition decide if I am accepted to Camp?
No, the audition is used to confirm which ensemble you will be placed in. See here for more details.

Is the audition scary?
Not at all! It's incredibly friendly. It'll just be you and two tutors who play your instrument – you don't have to get up in front of a whole bunch of people.

I'm planning to come to Camp by public transport – what are my options?
There are excellent air, rail and bus links to Albury. Check out for more information.

I'm driving to Camp – how do I get there?
Click here to download a map of Albury. The most convenient exit from the bypass is generally the Riverina Highway (Borella Road). If travelling north from Melbourne, turn left at the off-ramp; if travelling south from Sydney, turn right. Then drive over the freeway, turn right up Young Street, and take the first or the second right turn after that (Perry Street or Tribune Street).

Who is responsible for my instrument?
Each Camper is responsible for their own instrument. We strongly recommend that your instrument be insured.

What's the weather like?
Cold and often wet. See the Bureau of Meteorology site, or check out the weather tab at the Border Mail.

What is there to do in Albury?
Heaps! Check out There's stacks of information about what's on in town, and also lots about things worth seeing around the region. It's a beautiful part of the world – well worth visiting even if you're not coming to Camp!

Do you have a list of places to stay in Albury?
Have a look at for more information. The Astor Hotel offers refurbished accommodation just over the road from Camp.

I'm living in - what should I pack?
- Bed linen (sleeping bag or blankets), including a pillow
- Towel and toiletries
- Warm casual clothes and wet-weather gear (Albury can be cold and wet!)
- You'll also need good clothes for the Friday night concert (not jeans and sneakers), and black trousers/skirt and white shirt for the Saturday night concert.
Make sure all articles are clearly labelled with your name. Please bring a small padlock so that valuables can be secured in the footlocker at the end of your bed.

During free time, can I go into town?

Students who have their parents' permission may leave the Camp and go into town during free time. Students are only allowed to leave in groups of four or more, and may only be offsite from between 2:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

What if I don't have my parents' permission?
We organise activities on campus during free time. And there's always time for more practice!

When are the public concerts?
The public concerts, which are sensational, are at 7:30 p.m. on Friday (the elective ensembles) and on Saturday (the morning ensembles).

When does Camp end?
The Camp finishes with the Saturday night concert. Please collect your child's belongings from the dormitory prior to the concert and advise a Camp Mum or Dad that you have done so. Accommodation for your child after the concert on Saturday night is your responsibility.

I have left something behind. How do I find it?
Please check the lost property list.

Is Border Music Camp the best week of the year?
It most certainly is.

I've got more questions!
Please get in touch! Our contact details are here.

Back to top